2018 Access Bank Lagos Marathon: First Nigerian To Win Gets N3M | LASTMA Announces Traffic Diversion | Kits Distribution Starts Today, February 1, 2018
In a bid to encourage Nigerians who will participate in the 42.195km Access Bank’s Lagos marathon race billed for February 10, the management of the marathon has announced that the first Nigerian to emerge winner will get a whooping sum of N3million.
The General Manager of the marathon, Mr Yusuf Alli, made this known on Wednesday, January 31, during an exclusive chat with Daily Trust.
While explaining that the first ten marathon winners will win a total of $208,000, Alli further disclosed that the first winner of the full marathon will be rewarded with $50,000, while the second winner and third are to receive $40,000 and $30,000 respectively.
He further said that the remaining seven winners out of the first top ten will take home $25,000, $20,000, $15,000, $10,000, $8,000, $6,000 and $4,000 accordingly.
His words: “So, if a Nigerian man wins the full marathon before anyone else, he will get the $50,000 plus the N3m”
“This year’s winner could be a Kenyan, Uganda, Ethiopian, or a Nigerian; we don’t even know. But it’s going to be very difficult for a Nigerian to run that fast and far. Our best marathon record is about 2hrs 15mins as far back as 1984 by Abass Muhammad. If we had improved on that, maybe by now we would be doing better. But Nigeria as a whole went to sleep; hopefully we will get back the glory.”
“The more a Nigerian runs for the marathon, trains and jogs everyday, the better for us. If we can imbibe the culture of running, keeping fit, I think maybe one day we will win. For me to think a Nigerian will win this year, it will be very hard, but it is not impossible.”
“In Nigeria, people like to do their things at the last minute. We know many won’t return theirs until a day or two before the race. We know that and we will accommodate it.”
“Make sure you are fit and ready, if you have any medical condition, see the doctor to confirm if you can run or not. We have water along the road as well as energy drinks, doctors, referees. If the referee feels the person is tired, he will ask such person to take a break. Before you pick up your running number, we are going to check your medical condition to know how fit you are. Every participant must know his or her health; if you cannot reach the finishing point, don’t worry, you can always try another time. It’s not a must for everyone to win.”
- LASTMA Announces Traffic Diversion
As part of efforts to ensure a hitch-free Lagos City Marathon scheduled to take place on Saturday, February 10, 2018, the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) has announced traffic diversion on the affected routes during the race.
A statement issued on Wednesday by the Authority and made available to Vanguard Newspaper, said that the event will kick-off at 6am from the National Stadium, Surulere and terminate at Eko Atlantic City, Victoria Island, thus necessitating traffic diversion.
The statement advised motorists and commercial vehicles to use alternative routes as listed below: •From Eko Bridge, motorists shall be diverted through Costain to connect Ebute-Metta, Orile, Nigerian Breweries and Bode Thomas through Apapa Road (now Moshood Abiola Way).
- From Alaka Estate, motorists shall be diverted through Iponri or Iponri Estate.
- Motorists from Masha inward journey to Stadium shall be diverted to Shitta Roundabout for onward movement through Falolu and Adeniran Ogunsanya Roads to their various destinations.
- Motorists from Apapa/Orile-Iganmu to Funsho Williams shall be diverted through Apapa Road to continue their journey.
- On Ikorodu Road, traffic from Ojota inwards Fadeyi, Funsho Williams is allowed; there will be a restriction for motorists who want to link Gbagada through Town Planning Way, Ilupeju to Third Mainland Bridge (Marathon Route).
- From Apapa – Oshodi Expressway (i.e from Mile 2) motorists shall be diverted through BOC Gases/Armed Forces Resettlement Center on the service lane through Agege Motor Road. Traffic will also be diverted through Town Planning Way before Anthony – Oke. (Note that Gbagada inward 3rd Mainland Bridge will be closed to traffic from Anthony – Oke).
- From Old Toll Gate to Alapere, Ogudu, motorists shall be diverted through Gbagada, Oworonshoki-Oshodi-Apapa Expressway and navigate their journey to destinations.
- From Ajah to Ozumba Mbadiwe Road through Lekki, traffic shall be diverted through Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase I.
- Motorists shall be diverted through Alexandra Road from Cable Bridge while Bourdillon Road will be temporarily closed to traffic.
- From Awolowo Road, motorists shall be diverted through Falomo Bridge to connect Ozumba Mbadiwe Road while Falomo Roundabout inwards Bourdillon will be temporarily closed and Akin Adesola Street inwards Bar Beach will also be temporarily closed to traffic.
- From Bonny Camp to Ozumba Mbadiwe Road, traffic shall be diverted through Old Mr. Biggs Junction to Kofo Abayomi Street.
The statement added that all adjoining streets and feeder roads to the dedicated routes of the race would be temporarily closed to ensure the safety and security of participants.
It also implored Lagosians plying the affected routes to exercise patience and obey traffic management officials deployed to the identified routes for a successful exercise.
- Kits Distribution Starts On Today
The distribution of kits, running beebs and transponders for registered participants for the 2018 Access Bank Lagos City Marathon will begin on Thursday, February 1, inside the Molade Okoya Thomas Hall at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Complete Sports reports.
The Head of Communications and Media for the Access Bank Lagos City Marathon, Kayode Thomas, disclosed that those that have registered for the February 10 race are only required to come with their confirmation messages and any form of identification to collect their kits and other provided items.
“Of course, the kits are free, the interested participants are only meant to come with their proof of registration (confirmation messages) and their valid ID cards to pick their kits,” Thomas stated.
Yet To Apply? Click Here And Proceed With Registration
The post 2018 Access Bank Lagos Marathon: First Nigerian To Win Gets N3M | LASTMA Announces Traffic Diversion | Kits Distribution Starts Today appeared first on 360Nobs.com.
Source: New feed2