A Massachusetts judge on Monday denied actor Kevin Spacey’s request to skip his arraignment on charges that he allegedly sexually assaulted an 18-year-old man at a Nantucket bar in 2016
According to the initial filing, Spacey argued that “my presence will amplify the negative publicity already generated in connection with this case,” in addition to his living out of state.
Kevin Spacey said in documents received by the court earlier on Monday that he is pleading not guilty and believes he should be excused from appearing at the forthcoming arraignment, the term that describes the process in the US of calling someone before a court to answer a criminal charge
Defendants are required to appear for arraignments unless they are granted a waiver by a judge, according to Massachusetts court officials, the Boston Globe reported. Prosecutors asked the judge in the case to deny Spacey’s request, and on Monday afternoon district Judge Thomas Barrett issued his decision that Spacey must appear for the hearing.
Spacey was dropped from the Netflix series House of Cards and at least one movie after allegations he sexually assaulted or harassed multiple men.
The actor also said he plans to plead not guilty to the felony sex assault charge. Spacey’s arraignment is set for 11 a.m. ET on Jan. 7 in Nantucket District Court.
The post Judge Denies Kevin Spacey’s Request to Skip Arraignment For Felony Sex Assault Charge appeared first on 360Nobs.com.
Source: New feed